Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Vulnerability

 



I’ve never been one to post my own picture…
I find myself in love with
being behind the camera
and 
letting that imagery speak
of who I am.

Social Media opens 
To our vulnerabilities, 
And I am struck
That it is so much easier
To show my work…
Which is my heart and soul~
(Really, how vulnerable is that?)

This photo is not my most recent, 
It is a little over a year old,
But I chose it for a reason.
I grew up with Auburn Hair
And it stood out.
I was very shy,
 and was uncomfortable standing out.
So now,
the auburn has turned dark 
 to salt and pepper.
No longer am I 
Defined as a ginger.
After a slight wobble 
Back and forth with hair color,
I’m finding that I really like 
This older version 
Of me. 


So how is it not 
As hard to show my work, and not feel as vulnerable?
Well, aside from the fact, 
that creating and sending my lovelies off,
 is how I make my living.
The answer is,
Quite frankly,
 I’m not.

It’s all a leap of Faith.




Over the years,
I have taken parts of creating,
That I have never felt 
Were my strongest suit.
I dove into them
As a personal challenge
To tackle.
All while showing them on the internet.

My Patterns?
I only had a badly made tote bag
 and simple shirt
Under my belt. 
…and let’s a not forget that time,
 when it was cool to make your bell bottoms longer with fabric strips…

What did Stacey do?
Took some cues from a friend and mentor
And pushed my way thru
To do folky dolls
For local craft shows…
And then use the designs for a pattern line.

It gave me the opportunity
To work from home, 
something that I
Desperately needed to do
As a caregiver and a single Mom.

Then, to keep a promise to 
My Father,
I promised to show 
That I could draw and sculpt.
I took on my fear of Ink
And created imagery
With the help
Of Monahan Papers.
and finally…

The dolls.

I knew that
If I was going to sculpt,
They needed to be dolls.
But…
Faces were my nemesis 


And so my friends…
You have watched me over the years.
Very much at my most
Vulnerable.
Holding my breath
And hoping that
With each
Leap of faith
And 
My wonky beginnings 
That you would be 
Beside me as I grew the skills.

Let’s not forget
About my weird….
Pumpkin ladies?
 Moon and whale ladies?
All of the Victorian Mourning inspired?

No matter who I have been becoming,
I have had wonderful
Friends in you….
Even, at my most vulnerable





No comments:

Post a Comment

KITCHEN HAGS

The name Kitchen Witches, Seemed way too nice. They are no nonsense and with a whack of a wooden spoon,  you know they teach you how to do s...